Thursday, November 6, 2008

Marriage and Our Economy

Anyone else or know of anyone going thru difficulties? Please share your story. Please read.

Just today I received a call from a close friend. She is feeling the pressures of our country's current economic situation, and it is affecting her marriage. Her husband tends to push the envelope when it come to finances. My advise to her was communication. I told her she should let her husband know that pushing the limit with finances is creating undue stress.

Husbands & wives please keep a lid on expenses. Be sure to openly communicate your thoughts and fears and above all listen to your spouse. Financial stress can cause a strong marriage to fall apart. Stress can take away the romance in a marriage because the focus becomes money or the lack thereof. As couples we should be focused on each others needs.

Now my girlfriend has a good husband. He successfully bring in money as well as she has a good paying career however, what good is it if close to every penney is spent on bills. Seems as if this couple needs Suze Orman. This is a dangerous situation to be in. My other advise was for her to seek a mortgage loan modification and perhaps pick up a second job to help pay down some debt.

From the outside many couples look as if they have it all or have it all together. But, one never knows what goes on behind close doors.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Finances are definitely a stress in my marriage. I am always very open with my husband about how our financial situation makes me feel. However, I have a problem with being brutally honest and even rude because a lot of the time I feel that we wouldn't be where we are financially if it weren't for him. This is a very bad way of thinking and I am working on it but i wanted to point out that while communicating is important you must do it in an unbiased and respectful manner.